Securing a new electricity connection for your home or business can be a laborious undertaking. Fortunately, Crown Energy has the expertise and experience to take care of all your domestic and commercial electricity connection installation needs.
However, if you’re overseeing an electricity connection for a multi-occupancy property, there is a slightly different and more involved process. The job will be far bigger than a single property installation.
To help you understand how a multi-occupancy electricity connection works, we have compiled the following easy-to-understand guide explaining what it is and how to secure one.
What is a multi-occupancy building?
Unlike standard single-unit properties such as a house, a flat, an apartment, small business, and any other individual units, a multi-occupancy building (formally known as house in multiple occupation – HMO) refers to residential properties like large houses, student accommodation, or apartment blocks, where a single building or structure has been divided into more than one premises. Multiple tenants, at least three people, live in this building in separate units or rooms. These tenants could share common areas like bathrooms, kitchens, living spaces, and communal gardens, or each unit could have their own living quarters and bathrooms.
According to cia Landlords: “While at least three tenants are required to live at a property for it to be regarded as an HMO, a home is considered to be a large HMO if five or more tenants live there. Again, for this definition to apply, these tenants must form more than one household within the property, with toilet, bathroom, or kitchen facilities being shared between the households.”
Multi-occupancy buildings also include large public buildings like shopping centres, where numerous businesses operate under a shared roof.
What is a BNO?
To fully comprehend what a multi-occupancy electricity connection is and how to get one, you first need to understand what a BNO is.
A BNO is an organisation that owns or operates the electricity distribution network within a multi-occupancy building between the intake position and the customers’ installations.
A BNO is not necessarily a large company, as BNOs may also include individual landlords or building owners.
Networks do not allow single connections to multi-occupancy properties (unless in the instance of a domestic and commercial split, for example, a convenience store on the lower floor and an apartment on the upper) so a BNO is compulsory in all other cases.
This allows individual units the freedom to choose their supplier so that they’re not all locked into the same contract, which is often of economic benefit to each unit. The electricity distribution network will be connected to a plant room/communal area – a dedicated space that houses the individual meters and their readings.
The Electricity Networks Association has published a document that provides additional guidance for multi-occupancy connections.
Which processes need to be in place before I get a multi-occupancy electricity connection?
Several processes need to be in place prior to getting a multi-occupancy electricity connection.
- The property requiring a multi-occupancy electricity connection needs its individual addresses registered with the council and showing on the Royal Mail database. You can expect a standard application fee to apply with the council, which will also register the properties for council tax.
- Next, you will need to decide on the size generation of the electricity connection you need to install at the multi-occupancy building. A qualified electrician can determine this for you via the relevant G98 or G99 process. You can find out more about generation requirements here.
- Once the above is complete, we can take it from here. Crown Energy makes getting a new multi-occupancy electricity connection simple and straightforward. We will do everything from obtaining your MPAN to liaising with all the relevant authorities from beginning to end. Get in touch with us to begin the process; submit a call back request, fill in a utility application form, or give us a call on 0330 158 8287.
- We will complete all the necessary steps to produce a fair and competitive quote for the works you require. Once our design engineers have completed the plan and costing, you will be provided with a quotation which also signifies your BNO connection agreement.
Can Crown Energy provide a multi-occupancy electricity connection?
The simple answer is yes. We can help to facilitate new electricity connections as well as disconnections, diversions, and alterations for multi-occupancy buildings. So, whether you’re a landlord of a block of flats or you’re working on a large home conversion into multiple units, Crown Energy is equipped to help.
When it comes to conversions of this type, it’s also possible, if not likely, that an increase in supply may be needed to provide a greater capacity for the new units. Crown Energy can provide installation upgrades to accommodate this. If you’re unsure of your supply requirements, we can advise about this as well.
Here are a few of the many reasons to contact Crown Energy for your multi-occupancy electricity connection:
A one-stop multi-utility solution
By selecting Crown Energy, you’ll only need to make one phone call to get all your utility connection requirements sorted. Our highly experienced team will take care of all your multi-occupancy electricity, gas, water, and metering installation needs, providing a full service from first contact to a successful connection.
Thanks to our decades of multi-utility connection experience, not only will we get the job done for you, but we’ll manage any challenges or issues that may present themselves along the way.
The result is a far quicker and more cohesive service that saves you time and money.
Bespoke project management
Crown Energy offers an all-encompassing utility installation service – tailor-made to your specific circumstances, requirements, and situation. This includes multi-occupancy electricity connections. Our primary goal is to ensure your domestic or commercial electricity installation requirements are fulfilled quickly and professionally.
One point of contact throughout the process
Using a multi-utility connection provider like Crown Energy doesn’t only mean dealing with one service provider for all your installation needs – you’ll also be allocated a dedicated account manager who will deal with you directly throughout the process.
This engineer will handle all third parties on your behalf. They’ll keep you updated and informed from first contact until your multi-occupancy electricity connection has been installed.
Reduced timescales with effective planning
An experienced and connected multi-utility solutions provider like Crown Energy can effectively plan your multi-occupancy electricity connection process thereby reducing paperwork and timescales.
With our extensive technical knowledge and highly-trained project engineers, we can ensure your vision is achieved on time and within your budget. Crown Energy will contact all additional parties to organise all aspects of the job for you, including the required permits and regulations needing to be adhered to.
In the case of legal work related to land and access rights for utility infrastructure, we can assist if required. This includes working with councils, landowners, solicitors, and statutory bodies.
Tapping into our nationwide partner network of expertise
Thanks to our many years in the industry, Crown Energy has established solid partnerships across networks. This helps us to reduce timescales and maintain the high-quality standards for every project delivery.
We are connected to the very best engineers, site managers, and contractors who perform all digging and infrastructure work. We have built strong partnerships over the years, allowing us to get the best prices and schedules for job completion.
Choosing Crown Energy as your multi-utility service provider
Crown Energy takes the stress out of getting your home or business connected to an electricity supply.
From planning to design and specialist project management, our team helps with large jobs, multi-plot requirements, business parks, housing developments, and everything in between.
With almost three decades in the industry, we have helped thousands of customers. Our team has completed more than 15,000 new utility connections quickly and professionally.
Our complete turnkey solution is offered throughout the UK. The success of our business begins with our approach and attitude:
- Our established relationships across networks will reduce timescale project delivery.
- We’ll project manage all your gas, water, and electricity requirements in one job.
- We will transform complex technical information into a simple step-by-step user-friendly process.
- Our unrivalled utility experts will tailor all projects to your needs.
- We keep paperwork to a minimum to ensure a seamless process throughout.
- We believe in the personal touch. You’ll have one point of contact throughout to eliminate the numerous phone calls to the minefield of departments.
- Lastly, but most importantly, we offer professional and friendly customer service, with quality at the forefront of our services.