Crown Energy

Multi Occupancy Electricity Connections

Multi Occupancy Electricity Connections

Installing electricity in multi-occupancy properties has completely different processes and regulations than standard properties. To differentiate, a standard property is a single house or unit, and multi-occupancy are properties such as apartment blocks and shopping centres. This blog explains exactly what those processes and regulations are.

What is a BNO?

Firstly, we must explain what a Building Network Operator is. A BNO is the organisation that owns or operates the electricity distribution network within a multi-occupancy building. Networks do not allow single connections to multi-occupancy properties (unless in the instance of a domestic and commercial split, for example a convenience store on the lower floor and an apartment on the upper) so a BNO is compulsory in all other cases. This allows individual units the freedom to choose their own supplier so that they are not all locked into the same contract, which is often of economic benefit to each unit. The electricity distribution network will be connected to a plant room/communal area, which is a dedicated space that houses the individual meters and their readings.

Can Crown Energy provide a multi-occupancy electricity connection?

We mostly deal with new connections for a new-build property, however we also do alterations in the instance of conversions, for example converting a large house into apartments, or a large industrial property into several smaller units. With a conversion it is also likely that an increase in supply may be needed to provide a greater capacity for the purpose of the new units, we can also provide service upgrades to accommodate this. If you are unsure of your supply requirements, we can advise of this.

Which forms, documents, and procedures need to be completed before applying for a connection?

Prior to any works beginning, the property needs its individual addresses registered with the council and showing on the Royal Mail database. You can expect a standard application fee to apply with the council, which will also register the properties for council tax. Again, as part of our full project management, we will assist with this entire process.

If you have any further questions regarding multi-occupancy properties, get in touch with a member of our expert team on 0330 041 4925, our phone lines are open Monday-Thursday 8am-5pm and Friday 8am-3pm.

7 reasons to choose Crown Energy
Unrivalled service from start to end
Our commitment to going green

What Our Customers Say

Had to get a quote to get a gas line connection to the house. Lewis was the point of contact and we could not get anyone more professional, kind and swift. He immediately had the answers to all our queries and broke everything down for us which made it very to understand and reassuring. Would highly recommend this company to anyone.

- Farhan Abubacar

I have used Crown energy over the past 8 years on multiple projects. I have found them to be very easy to work with, they are both professional & knowledgeable. The most recent application was for services for a new build block of 34 apartments. Michelle Kelly was the lady I have been dealing with on my most recent application, she was very helpful, enthusiastic, professional, she even took the time to go back to the contractors with my many questions & differing requirements.

- Steve Lewis, Hall Park Construction

Good old fashioned customer service. Lily, my first contact was polite, very communicative and knowledgeable about the service they offered she was a delight to talk to. Tegan, contract person was efficient and so far has kept me up to date with all I need to know. I would recommend the company to others on their customer service alone.

- Debbie Bridges